3434 Bogus Basin Road
Boise, ID 83702
Home of the Huskies
In the mid 1950's housing development began in the foothills at the north end of Harrison Boulevard. There were expensive houses going up in what was known as Slaughterhouse Gulch. In earlier times there was a slaughter house located in the area of the first development of the Highlands, thus the name Slaughterhouse Gulch.
Children from the area were bused to Campus School and then to Central School until the Highlands school opened in 1962-62. The Highlands area is an affluent area and was quite a contrast with the mixture of students at Central.
Like most schools built during this period of time, it has a flat roof, twelve classrooms, a library, office area and multi-purpose room.
Highlands is located near the Fallout Shelter which was built in the 1950's during the cold war. The structure is now vacant.